Anyone have any experience with really high-end laptops for VR?
My criteria is:
- Must be a laptop. I’m fully aware that desktops give you better bang for the buck. However, this is for commercial use and portability trumps price.
- Must have an RTX 2080 (NOT max-q)
- Video out for the HMD must be DisplayPort, Mini-DisplayPort, or USB C. HDMI-only laptops need not apply.
- It’s gotta be durable.
- If there are any without dual power bricks that’d be great.
- It’d be nice if it didn’t have the gamer aesthetic.
- This is a laptop I’d be recommending to my commercial customers, so any type of mod isn’t an option, e.g. “Just upgrade the thermal paste and your temps will drop 10 degrees.”
So far the top contenders I’ve seen are:
- Alienware Area 51m
- A Sager that seems too cheap to be true
- MSI GT76 Titan DT, but I’ve heard some concerns about the thermal paste they use
Anybody have any experience with these laptops or anything comparable?